03 March, 2011

Speed up your PC by turning off indexing

I always experience a slowness in my PC when it is booting up, and right after that. The other issue that I notice is that the CPU fan is making noise, and having known my PC (at work) for quite some time, I am sure that it is due to some increase in CPU activity.

That made me check, not one time only, but every time the fan starts to blow, and make noise. (Actually that is the reason why I didn't stop looking, otherwise, I would have just let it go on as is). This went on for days; days became months... until I couldn't sit and ignore it anymore.

Having disabled most of those accessories already, it is getting on my nerve and driving me nuts!

Simple Computer Tune-up: Speed Up Your PCThen today, I searched in the web on how to permanently disable the indexing service in Windows. This week I have been manually disabling the service, and I did notice that the fan died down, which indicated a decrease in CPU activity (so it doesn't get hot, and there is no need for the blower fan).

I did find some easy solutions. Below are three, but before you click and do (if you need to do it), consider these:

1. There are 3 places that needs checking: Startup folder, Windows services and Hard Drive settings.
2. The hard drive settings, if you are going to uncheck "Allow indexing ..." tickbox, will take some time.
3. The hard drive tickbox unchecking applies to all hard drives, so if you have many, grab some biscuits and a cup (or two) of coffee or tea, or whatever beverage you like.


Seagate FreeAgent 750 GB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive ST307504FDA1E1-RKStartup Folder
  1. Click [Start] > [All Programs] > [Startup] folder
  2. If "Indexing Service " is inside, right-click on it, and choose Delete

Windows Services
  1. Click [Start] > [Run]
  2. Type "services.msc"
  3. Look for "Indexing Service"
  4. If Status is Started, then right-click on it to select "Stop"
  5. Check that the Startup Type is either Manual or Disabled (right-click to select Properties to change)

Hard Drive indexing Service

  1. Open up Windows Explorer (fast one is to right-click on [Start] button, then Explore.
  2. At [My Computer] node, right-click on C:, then Properties.
  3. Uncheck the tickbox for "Allow Indexing Service...", then click OK.
  4. Do this for all the other hard drives you have.

Stellar Speed up Mac - An excellent utility to Speed up Mac Performance by cleaning up unwanted data from your Mac driveAs earlier said, this 3rd step will take time, so find something else to do while this is running, and just go back now and then to check on the progress.


References:
Turn off indexing and speed up Windows XP
Turn Off and Disable Search Indexing Service in Windows XP
Disable / Delete SearchIndexer.exe | Stop Windows Enhanced Search In Windows Vista and XP


Till then, and hope this helps you, as it did me.
Au revoir!



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment