13 April, 2020

DISM in Action: Windows Update Error Code 0x80096004

I got Windows Update Error Code 0x80096004 when I run update. That was KB4541335.

It happened about a week ago or so. I usually would manually check for updates, Windows updates, laptop updates, driver updates, etc. At times, I would get hardware updates, at times, software updates, like MonoSnap, or visual Studio Community Edition 2019, or Visual Studio Code. Sometimes it would be an update for Notepad++, which comes very infrequently. And sometimes, it is for the laptop components, coming either from HP Assistant, Acer Live Updater, the Lenovo System Update, and sometimes from IDSA, Intel Driver and Support Assistant.

I have used many laptop brands, and it is the keyboard performance of the Dell laptop that I like best. As for the layout, I like HP islandwide keyboard the most. Nothing compares. And its performance is satisfactory. The layout is okay, unlike other brands where the [CTRL] and [Fn] keys are interchanged. What are they thinking? And my dislike of the Acer F 15 power button put together with the numeric keypad keys, just next to the [End] key, well, for a software developer like me who uses that key a lot, I think that is just counter-productive. There is so much space on the keyboard surface that can be of use. Well, that's my own opinion, anyway.

Now, about the Windows Update KB4541335. I saw it when I checked for updates, so I run it. It failed.

I restarted the laptop, and attempted again the update, which again failed a second time.

I again restarted the laptop, and for the third time, run the Windows Update KB4541335. It failed again. For what reason, I do not know.

So I restarted the laptop, and knowing a thing or two about corrupted system files, and for this specific case, failed Windows Updates due to windows update corrupted files, I decided to right away perform DISM checks.

I run all 3:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Some system file corruption was found, and it was corrected in no time. And searching in the web for Windows Update Error Code 0x80096004 pointed to one solution, which is manually installing the update. And it can be downloaded from the Microsoft Update Catalog where you just type the KB number.

Having run DISM checks and with the system file corruption fixed, with the KB4541335 update file downloaded for my Windows version, I proceeded with the update, and voila! Update applied.

So here is me saying again that much of the Windows problems, including updates, can be fixed using DISM, SFC and Chkdsk utilities.

Hope this short article helps you, as it did me.

Till then!

No comments:

Post a Comment