07 July, 2010

Running javac in Windows

Image representing NetBeans as depicted in Cru...Image via CrunchBase
I just began my self-study in java using Netbeans 6.9 IDE, and I just managed to get through the "Hello World!" code using the IDE, which is followed by running the same small program in the shell.

I typed the compiler as indicated in the directions, but I got an error, like 'javac is not recognized....' or something like that.

I searched the web, which is usually my primary source of assistance, as it is with my self-study matters, and I got the first page with the top results containing the solution to my problem.

It is simply including the javac location in the PATH declaration.

So I did.

I opened up a Windows Explorer, right click on My Computer, and on Properties, then on Advanced tab, then on Environment Variables, then on the top window, which is the user's "User variables".

Open up "PATH" or "path", whichever is the one in your PC, then include the javac directory, for my case, is "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_01\bin> javac". That means going to the end of the current definition, adding a semicolon, then the file location, which is again, "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_01\bin> javac".

Click on OK, then the other OK, and the final thrid OK.

That sets the path for javac. There is no need to restart your PC, as was the case for me. But if javac still isn't recognized, try to do a restart, to be sure.

Till then.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment