03 November, 2013

Don’t jump: VS2010 to VS2013

Image representing Microsoft as depicted in Cr...
Image via CrunchBase
1 November 2013


Visual Studio 2010

I have been using Visual Studio 2010 for quite some time now, and seeing Visual Studio 2012 and having some hands-on with this version gave me some inspiration.

So imagine my excitement when I came across Visual Studio 2013! One thing that got me hooked (immediately) is the Code Lens extension. And that is just the extension…

I now continued my reading of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 in C# and VB eBook, but I decided to use VS2013. I noticed right away that web site project creates 3 files, and the code-behind file, which is only one in previous versions, are now 2: the program code and the designer code.

I thought right away that Visual Studio has something new to offer, so that I started to clean up one other PC that I use for development, sort of back-up.

Clean-up done, where much old data files were discarded, and the disks were resized, and even repartitioned, I salvaged some space for Visual Studio 2013.

Then, I got some errors during the installation. As always the promise, Microsoft will try to fix it.

Retry, same error, same message. Retry, same error, same message. And finally, retry… same error, same message.

I looked (finally, some serious scrutiny) of the packages having error in the installation, and my immediate guess is that these files I do not know, and owing to the very close release dates of Visual Studio 2012 and Visual Studio 2013, I guessed that these files must be from Visual Studio 2012. The other confirming factor to this wild guess is the installer package size – VS2012 has a bigger installer than VS2013.

Visual Studio 2012

I now digressed to installing Visual Studio 2012. As earlier thought, the installation went through without a single glitch.

Setup completed. Product launched. Updates applied. Done!

Visual Studio 2013

Coming back to Visual Studio 2013, the installation was then retried, and this time, there was no error that came up. Setup completed in a jiffy!

Product launched. Updates were installed. And now, I have a back-up machine that runs Visual Studio 2013.

Lesson learnt: Don’t jump (you cannot jump) from Visual Studio 2010 to Visual Studio 2013. Do Visual Studio 2012 first. They have done much in the in-between years…

Till then!

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment