21 October, 2014

Agile Experience Design: my first take on agile concept

English: This poster provides a good visual of...
English: This poster provides a good visual of the standard Agile Software Development methodology. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
21-October-2014


It have been over two months now, I never realized that I was not able to post at least a short description of the book that I finished reading some time back in the 2nd week of August.

Anyway, I patiently completed the book, my first on the Agile series, and there was much concept to grasp as written there, and I was glad that while not many, some of the ideas presented therein, I already practice - or believe to be the ideal.

Functional and aesthetic.

Not just functional. Not just pretty. They must be both. Nobody would buy a device that is functional but not pleasing. And nobody stays with a pretty device that doesn't work quite well.

And while I can't remember now which book or which article I came across with in the past, one that I will always practice is this: to engage my users, to see how they use the software, how they engage the solutions and applications that I design, develop and implement.

We are not perfect, but by consistently looking for ways and means of tweaking and enhancing the features of a software, even without the user asking for it, we will be exhibiting continuous improvement.

But then again, I found that in Linkedin, not all software developers believe that Agile is the way to go. Yet there are those who deem that waterfall methodology is one that is already dormant, near extinction.

What's my take?

I go for agile. But the truth is, when you design a software, management will still prefer the written design, in its totality and completeness (whatever that includes and entails) - one that they can "visualize", and put their signature on - rather than a blank sheet with bits and pieces of (well-designed?) software piece parts.

Here's the book again: Agile experience design: a digital designer's guide to agile, lean, and continuous

I learned new things, but new things don't immediately take over the rein. So we're in the balance now.

Till then!

No comments:

Post a Comment