25 October, 2014

Java SE 7 Programming Essentials - my 2nd Java book

English: The cover illustration for the Java P...
English: The cover illustration for the Java Programming book on Wikibooks (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
25-October-2014


About a week ago, I finished reading my 2nd book on Java programming - Java SE 7 Programming Essentials, authored by Michael Ernest. It was basically written for a beginner, but one who is aiming for an Oracle certification, the OCA Java SE 7 (Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 7).

I have been doing software development since 1996, using PROMIS and VMS, and the very first Windows, and DOS, etc., and I have used .NET in all of my latest applications, but I would admit that I still picked up a lot of fundamental knowledge from this book.

I've come across much of the same topics in another book, C# in Depth, but in Java SE 7 Programming Essentials, they were presented for beginners. Thus, the detailed explanation, which is easy to grasp.

I had to admit that the modifiers was one of the things that became clearer to me, and I am now more aware as to why a class or method is declared public, and not private, or if no modifier is used, what the default behavior is, etc. Very basic, right?

Inheritance and composition is another thing that I was refreshed on, and the use of the 'this' keyword, especially when using inheritance, where properties are also passed down.

Constructors were also discussed, and I learned how you can create your own constructor.

Then there is also the topic on interface, and when it becomes a limitation. Followed by enumeration.

But the one thing I like very much, which I have been looking for so long, is how he presented the acquisition of a business, which needed the merging, or enhancing of the acquired company's business system. Very simple, but that is what I have been looking for - creating your own, and integrating into an existing simple that is built differently - without breaking each other.

Indeed, doing software development is one easy task, but creating a code that is optimized and compact, easy to maintain, and is in all aspect of the highest standards - that is one tough goal, a hard target. But then again, how can you score if you don't have a goal?

Aim high, and hit the mark!

That's what I'm doing now. Patience, and I will hit the mark.

Till then...

No comments:

Post a Comment