09 September, 2011

Windows 7 and Lotus Domino 6.5

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack (3-User)I am very eager to migrate all of my codes to Windows 7 - I cannot list down all of the advantages, but to name a few, here goes:

Speed - I am using Dell GX280 and GX520, and I found that GX280 running Windows 7 compared to GX520 running XP, the speed is substantially noticeable. Just for the record, here are the basic specs:

GX280
Pentium 4
2.79GHz
2GB RAM

GX520
Pentium 4
3.00GHz
2.5GB

IBM Lotus Notes and Domino 8.5.1Not to mention other peripheral chips and devices, the GX520 should be the better machine - but not with Windows 7. One big factor is the additional RAM by employing Readyboost in Windows 7. I plugged in a 4GB USB drive, and by all sticks and yards, GX280 runs faster than GX520.

That is true even when opening and editing in Visual Studio 2005 and 2010.

Now, what is the point I am driving home now? I had one PC try out Windows 7, and part of the test is to find out if all my codes will work, knowing that Windows 7 is the better way to go.

I built and installed those programs that were using Oracle client (inline SQL, stored procedures, etc), and they worked fine. There is another that saves to Excel file, and this, too, worked fine.

Then came those batches that uses Lotus Notes, Domino 6.5. Well, I was able to install Lotus Notes client. And what I usually do is, I copy the whole folder of \\notes\ from a different PC that is working, and dump it into the new installation, and immediately, things are like old times. Followed by this, I was able to build and install the whole batch of programs that reads from Notes.

IBM Lotus Domino: Classic Web Application Development TechniquesBut when I ran them... disaster ensued! "Error opening blah, blah, blah... object not instantiated..."

But I was able to resolve this within the day. My luck? I would call it my perseverance to make use of Windows 7, and my perseverance to make things work - if needed.

Since things can be done faster even with a dying PC (I'd call it that, the GX280) which is given the new heart of Windows 7, I do several rounds of uninstalling Lotus Notes client, reinstalling it, then building and installing 1 program at a time.

What I found is that I am able to build 1, or all, at the same time, but when I try to build 1, then install, then next build already fails. the object file domobj.tlb can no longer be referenced by Visual Studio. But as said, if you build all first, there is no problem.

So finally, that is what I did: uninstall then reinstall Lotus Notes 6.5, then build all of my programs, then do the installation after. Now, did the programs run without a problem?

No! You see, some thing could be writing to the registry, and it 'removes' or 'deletes' the entry for Domino 6.5. So after installing the programs, what I did was do a Repair-Installation of Lotus Notes 6.5, and that fixed the problem.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home PremiumThat may not be a convenient fix, but it works. I actually sent this issue to Notes support team, and 4 days since, I'm not getting a reply from them. Are they interested with my case? I'm sure I am not the only one. So is Notes team entertaining everyone's question? Maybe not. We'll find out sooner or later.

But for me, I have a fix, and I will stick to it, whether or not I get an answer from them.

Till then!


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment