02 December, 2011

Flock 2.6 and Zemanta 0.7.1

Image representing Flock as depicted in CrunchBaseImage via CrunchBaseImage representing Zemanta as depicted in Crun...Image via CrunchBase02-Dec-2011


I guess this is one long overdue post.

I mean whenever I browse the web and search for Zemanta for Flock, I always see those angry and frustrated people like me, who wanted the old Flock (Flock 2.6.1, or 2.6.2) with the magical Zemanta add-on, which is really magical when you are into blogging.

You know what Zemanta can do for you, so when it’s gone, the horror!

I have come across the same problem myself, which is one major reason why I am not ‘killing’ my other PC, the old XP machine, which holds the magical duo Flock 2.6.1 and Zemanta. I hold this PC from being migrated to Windows 7 because of that.

But now, there’s no holding back. I have searched long and hard, and have found how to get the magical duo into any other PC.

There are many sources, but one singular site I can recommend for getting Flock 2.6.1 is FileHippo.com; and there are many sources for Zemanta 0.7.1, many of which are bogus sites, telling you they have, but offering something else. Fortunately, the source I found is very reliable as well. And why not, it is the same add-on that works for Google’s Chrome browser.

So there you go:

  1. Flock 2.6.1, get from FileHippo.com.
  2. Zemanta 0.7.1, get from Mozilla Add-Ons Page.


Well, the links I have provided, so hopefully, you’ll get them right away.

Happy blogging!


Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Hey!
    Thanks for the nice words. Sadly, Flock has not been in active development since April. I'm sure you can whip up all the features Flock had into a normal Firefox installation with addons. :)

    Best,
    Rok
    Zemanta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate your view on Flock.

    But allow me now to elaborate. And I will be honest about it.

    I use many browsers, especially when creating web pages. I have IE, FF, Maxthon, Chrome, Opera, Safari, Flock (2.6.1, 3.5.2), and lately, Netscape.

    I define the same homepages for all of the browsers, 8 pages in all.

    Would you believe me if I tell you that Netscape loads up faster than IE9? I was surprised to discover that, all the more that Netscape, like Flock, is ‘no longer maintained or developed’.

    As for FF, it takes up a lot of system resources – slowing down the computer. Even if you have much to spare in your machine, why would you allow that, when there are other options?

    As for Scribefire, I still find Flock’s Blog Editor a mile away: it pops up on its own window. But that isn’t the main reason at all. Scribefire (FF, Chrome) will need you to set-up all of your blogs. I have 14; that means doing it 14x. In Flock, define your blog platform, username and password, and all blogs are automatically captured. Between the two, which one would you choose?

    LiveWriter behaves the same way like Firefox and Chrome when it comes to setting up blogs, so they fail in this area.

    And finally, I find that sometimes, and many times, Zemanta doesn’t work in Firefox. Why, I have no idea. It never fails in Flock. That’s why I will stick to using the outdated, unsupported, undeveloped, and unmaintained Flock. Zemanta rocks in Flock. Don’t they just rhyme together?

    ReplyDelete